Cardholder Frequently Asked Questions
Instructions: Using The Consumer Promotions Prepaid Card
How to Make a Purchase at a VISA® Debit Merchant:
Present the Card to the cashier.
- Swipe the Card through the terminal reader. Push either debit or credit. When selecting credit, no PIN (personal identification number) is necessary. Just sign the receipt when the cashier hands it to you and take a copy of the receipt for your records. If you select debit, you will be asked to enter your PIN. Always check your balance prior to this type of transaction.
What is the Prepaid Card?
The Card is a Visa®-branded debit card (not a credit card) provided to you by your sponsor as a ‘personal funds’ card.
- A personal funds Card can be used for any lawful purpose you choose. For example, your sponsor may issue you a Card instead of a check for reimbursing a rebate or incentive. The money on the Card belongs to you and you can spend it anywhere that Visa Debit cards are accepted.
- You have access to the funds 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can use the Card anywhere Visa Debit Cards are accepted: in stores, online, by mail and by phone.
Is the Prepaid Card a credit card?
The Card is not a credit card. The Card has funds loaded on it by your sponsor. You are not able to load value to the Card yourself. Use the Card until all funds on the Card are depleted. After the Card is depleted, you can throw it away.
What are the benefits of having a Prepaid Card?
- Saves time – easy access to the funds on the Card.
- Improved convenience – use for purchases everywhere Visa debit Cards are accepted.
- Improved security – no need to carry large amounts of cash with you.
- Better control over managing the money on the Card – take only the money you need, when you need it, depending upon the Card program designed by your sponsor.
- Account information and customer service available 24 hours a day
- Bank of America ”Zero Liability” Policy – you may incur no liability for unauthorized use of the Card up to the amount of the unauthorized transaction, provided we are notified within a reasonable period of time of the loss or theft (subject to certain conditions).
- Account information is available around the clock via a website listed on the back of your card.
If the Prepaid Card does not have my name on it, do I still sign my name on the back of the Card?
Even though your name is not embossed on the Card, you should sign the signature panel on the back so retailers can validate your identity.
What is my PIN?
The PIN, or Personal Identification Number, is a unique code of four numbers assigned to the Card account number and known only to you. When you call the customer service number or visit the Web site listed on the back of the Card to activate the Card, you will select a Personal Identification Number (PIN). Your PIN is the access code to your account for all pinned point-of-sale purchases. Memorize this number and do not share with anyone.
Can I change my PIN?
You can change your PIN by logging on to the website listed on the back of your card. Click the right tool bar and select PIN Change. You can also call Cardholder Services at 1. 833-215-1617, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
What if I forgot my PIN?
You can select a new PIN via the Web site or by calling Cardholder Services at 1. 833-215-1617.
How do I register the Prepaid Card?
You may register the Card by going online at the website listed on the back of your card or calling 1. 833-215-1617. Fill out all of the required fields, including the Card number, your name, address and last four digits of your Social Security Number.
Why should I register the Prepaid Card?
Registering the Card has several benefits:
- It enables you to make purchases online. Most online retailers do not accept payments without a valid “billing” address. Your registered address will serve as the “billing” address that retailers require.
- It enables Customer Service representatives to quickly assist you when you need assistance.
- It protects you if the Card is ever lost or stolen. By registering the Card, our customer service representative will be able to identify you as the cardholder and may be able to reimburse you for lost funds.
Is my confidential information secure online?
Security is of the highest importance to us, and the Card account details are protected with many layers of security. All the data you receive online is sent in encrypted (scrambled) format. Our server is protected with “firewall” technology and the Card account can only be accessed by means of a password known only to you. If you forget your PIN, you can either contact a Customer Service Representative to reset your PIN or go online at the website listed on the back of your card.
How can I check my balance?
You can go online at the website printed on the back of your card to find the balance on the Card. Alternatively, you can always check your balance by calling Cardholders Services at 1. 833-215-1617. If you opt to speak with a live agent, a fee may be assessed. Please check the Schedule of Bank Fees that you received with the Card. It is recommended that you know the balance on the Card before performing a transaction.
How do I activate the Prepaid Card?
You can activate the Card online at the website printed on the back of your card. You can also activate the Card by calling 1. 833-215-1617 toll free, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Make sure you have your 16-digit Card account number and the last four digits of your Social Security Number ready when calling. THE CARD CANNOT BE USED UNTIL ACTIVATED AND A PIN IS SELECTED. When you call or go online to activate your card, you will select a Personal Identification Number (PIN). Your PIN is the access code to your account for all pinned point-of-sale purchases and ATM transactions.
How do I make a purchase using the Prepaid Card?
You can use the Card anywhere Visa debit cards are accepted. Just press the “Credit” button on the terminal pad and you may be asked to sign a receipt to make your purchase. Alternately, some merchant may require you to enter your PIN for the transaction.
Can I make a purchase for more than the amount remaining on the Prepaid Card?
You must FIRST tell the cashier or merchant the amount you want to pay on the Card and pay the remainder through another means (credit card, check or cash). If you don’t tell the cashier or merchant and try to make a purchase for more than the amount on the Card, the transaction will be declined because you don’t have enough money on the Card.*
*Note: It is important to keep track of the Card balance so you don’t try to make purchases for more than the amount remaining on the Card. Check your balance either on the Web at the website printed on the back of your card or by calling Cardholder Services at 1. 833-215-1617.
Can I use the Prepaid Card at more than one merchant?
As long as there are sufficient funds on the Card, you can use the Card at any merchant you want as long as your sponsor did not restrict where you could use the Card.
Can I use the Prepaid Card for online purchases?
You can use the Card for purchases anywhere Visa Debit Cards are accepted – even online. However, you need to register the Card at the website printed on the back of your card before attempting an online purchase.
Can I use the Prepaid Card to pay bills?
If you have a personal funds Card, as determined by your sponsor, you can use the Card to pay bills as long as there are sufficient funds remaining on the Card.
Can I add more money to the Prepaid Card and can I transfer money to another account?
No. Your sponsor is the only one that can add more money to the Card and you cannot transfer money to another account.
What should I do if the Prepaid Card is lost or stolen?
Call Cardholder Services toll free at 1. 833-215-1617 to report the Card lost/stolen as soon as you can, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The Bank will cancel the Card and send you a replacement Card. The balance on your previous Card will be transferred to the new Card minus the lost/stolen replacement fee. Please check the Schedule of Bank Fees that you received with the Card for any applicable fees.
How long can I use the Prepaid Card?
The expiration date of the Card is printed on the front of the Card next to the account number. Once the card is expired the card will be deactivated.
What happens when I spend all of the funds on the Prepaid Card?
The Card is a non-reloadable Card, you can throw the Card away.
How will I know the original value on the Prepaid Card?
You can either view your balance on the Consumer Promotions web site printed on the back of your card or call Cardholder Services automated service at 1. 833-215-1617 to find out the balance on the Card.
How can I check the balance on the Prepaid Card?
You can check your balance and transaction history online at the website printed on the back of your card, at any Bank of America ATM or by calling Cardholder Services toll free at1. 833-215-1617. Make sure you have the 16-digit Card account number ready and your zip code for validation.
What kind of customer service assistance is available?
- You will be able to access your account information and Customer Service Representative 24 hours a day, seven days a week by calling 1. 833-215-1617. Please check the Schedule of Bank Fees that you received with the Card for a possible fee for contacting a Customer Service Representative.
Account information is also available anytime online at the website printed on the back of your card.
Automated account information options include (English/Spanish):
- Card activation
- PIN selection and changes
- Check account balances and recent transactions
- Opt to speak to a Customer Service Representative.
Customer Service Representatives (English/Spanish) can help you with the above options, PLUS:
- Respond to questions about transactions on your account statement
- Update your profile
- Reset your PIN
- Process statement requests
- Investigate fraudulent transactions
- Process lost, stolen, or damaged cards
- Request an emergency card replacement
Can I use a local Bank of America banking center for customer service?
You should direct all customer service inquiries either to the website printed on the back of your card or by calling 1. 833-215-1617. Bank of America branches are not equipped to assist you with any questions pertaining to the use of the Card.
Am I responsible for transactions that I did not make?
Bank of America provides a “Zero Liability” Policy for the Card. If the Card is ever lost or stolen, we will reimburse you for any unauthorized transactions when reported within 60 days from the date of the statement on which the unauthorized first transactions appears. (subject to certain conditions).
How do I dispute a transaction?
All account disputes should be directed to Cardholder Services. You should call or write as soon as you believe that there is an error on your statement. Cardholder Services must hear from you within 60 days from the date of the statement on which the error appears. A Customer Service Representative will provide you with a dispute form to complete and return.
Various Transaction Usages with the Prepaid Card
1. Restaurant Transactions
Restaurants will verify that you have enough funds on the Card to cover the bill PLUS 20% to cover the tip.
2. Hotel Transactions
The hotel clerk will verify that the Card has sufficient funds to pay an estimated bill for the number of days you’ve requested. The amount of the estimated bill will be “held” in your account, making that amount unavailable for other purchases. When you check out, the “hold” will be removed and the final bill amount will be deducted from the Card.
3. Car Rental Agencies
Some rental car companies may require that a credit card be used to make a reservation and may not allow a prepaid card to be used. However, the Card will always be accepted for final payment (provided the funds are available).
4. Gas Station Transactions
“Pay at the pump” gas stations may secure an authorization/approval on the Card as a set limit above the final amount/price of gas you put in your vehicle. For instance, they will authorize the transaction for $75.00. This is done to ensure that adequate funds are available to cover the final purchase. You must go inside the gas station and speak with the clerk. Tell the clerk that you want to purchase $10 in gas and to authorize the transaction for $10. Also, let the clerk know that it will be a CREDIT transaction.
5. Online Purchases
Online purchases are subject to the merchant's security policy governing the acceptance of bankcards. If the Card had an available balance AND your online purchase was declined by the Internet merchant, the decline would be based on the merchant's security policy. The transaction amount may be held against the available balance on the Card for seven days, since funds were approved for the online purchase, even though the merchant declined the transaction due to their security policy.
6. Split Transactions
Sometimes you will not have enough money on the Card and it will be rejected. If this occurs, you can still make the purchase, but you must FIRST pay the remaining balance with either cash, check or a credit card and then use the Card for the remainder of the balance. For instance, if you have $2.82 on the Card and your purchase is for $20, pay the sales clerk the $17.18 and use the Card for the remaining balance. The clerk should authorize the Card as a CREDIT card transaction. The balance will then be taken down to $0, and since the Card is not a reloadable card, you can dispose of it.